Wednesday, October 15, 2008

LLWYNYFRON in the parish of Llanddeusant, Carmarthenshire, Wales


Llwynyfron, circa 1900

One home in the possession of the Jeffreys family for several generations is Llwynyfron in the parish of Llanddeusant, Carmarthenshire.


View from Llwynyfron

LLANDDEUSANT: "LLANTHOYSAINT (LLAN-Y-DDEU-SANT), a parish, in the union of LLANDOVERY, lower division of the hundred of PERVERTH, county of CARMARTHEN, SOUTH WALES, 6 miles (S.E. by E.) from Llangadock; comprising the hamlets of Blaen-Sawdde with Maes-y-Fynnon, and Quarter Mawr with Gwydre, and containing 942 inhabitants. . . It comprises 11,510 acres, of which 7307 are cultivated, and 4203 uninclosed mountainous land, over which the inhabitants have a right of pasturage and turbary. The surrounding scenery is strikingly diversified, combining features of picturesque and rural beauty with objects of bold and romantic grandeur. That part of the Black Mountain which is within the parish forms the loftiest elevation in the county . . . The church, dedicated to St. Simon and St. Jude, is inconveniently situated at the eastern extremity of the parish, at the foot of the Black Mountain . . . A fair is held annually in the village on the 10th of October. The living is annexed to the vicarage of Llangadock. . . There is a meeting-house for Calvinistic Methodists, who have also five Sunday schools, in which 620 males and females are taught gratuitously; and there is a day school, in which 60 children are instructed at the expense of their parents." [From: A Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1844)]



Parish Church, Church of St. Simon and St. Jude
My great-great-great-great grandfather was Morgan Jeffreys, who was born in 1739 in Llywel parish, the son of William and Mary Jeffreys. Both of Morgan’s parents, William who died in 1743 and Mary who died in 1744, are buried in Llywel church yard.



By his Last Will and Testament which is dated December 26, 1740, William Jeffreys left certain property, including Llwynyfron in Llanddeusant parish to his son Morgan:

“…I give and bequeath unto Morgan Jeffreys my only son two messuages or tenements of lands known by the names of Glan Hamgan & Blaen Hamgan when he comes to the age of twenty one years and if in case it shall happen that my well beloved wife Mary shall be married before my said son Morgan shall arrive to the said age of twenty one years that then and from that day of her marriage the said tenements shall be my said son Morgan’s without hinderance, claim or deduction by her my said wife Mary. Also I bequeath that my said son Morgan Jeffreys shall pay unto my said three daughters viz: Jonet, Gladis & Mary, the sum of sixty pounds to be equally divided amongst my three said daughters or to the survivors of them in three years time, viz, twenty pounds every Feast Day of St. Michael paying the best first & so forth to the youngest which said sum of three pounds I bequeath to be paid by my said son Morgan when he shall have the estates bequeathed him in Llanddoisant by his uncle Morgan Morgans…”

Morgan Jeffreys married Sarah Powell on September 21, 1764 at Devynock. Sarah was the daughter of David Powell of Abersenny and his wife, Margaret Morgan. Morgan and Sarah Jeffreys had nine children, the first three being baptized at Llywel: Mary, born 1766, William, born 1768 and Margaret, born 1770. Between 1770 and 1773 they moved to Llwynyfron, Llanddeusant, and their other six children were all born there and baptized at Llanddeusant.




Llwynyfron, photo J B Jeffreys 1998
LLWYN Y FRON, Llanddeusant.
Near the north banks of afon Sawdde, and 1¼ miles south-west of the parish church. Home of the Aubrey family who were living there when Dunn recorded their pedigree in 1609. On 20 May of that year Rees David ap Meredith ap Watkin otherwise called Rees Awbrey, mortgaged land in a place or island called Castanog in Llangunnor, to Lewis David ap Ieuan, gent. Lewis Aubrey, gent., lived there in 1635. In the latter half of the 18th century it was owned and occupied by Morgan Jeffreys, gent., (died 1798, aged 59), and in 1862 was owned by Walter Powell Jeffreys of 20 Price Street, Liverpool. W.P. Jeffreys’ son and namesake returned to the country, and lived at the following mansions – Henllys, Cynghordy and Blaen-nos – but afterwards moved to Shropshire where he died in the early 1920’s.
(Jones, Francis (1997 Final Edition) Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and Their Families)



Sawdde River passing through Llwynyfron property, photo J B Jeffreys, 1998

By his Last Will & Testament Morgan Jeffreys left Llwynyfron to his son, David Jeffreys, in trust for the benefit of his grandson, Morgan Jeffreys. The young Morgan Jeffreys was the son of William Jeffreys, who had died in 1796.

This is the last will and Testament of me, MORGAN JEFFREYS, of Llwynyfron in the parish of Llanthoisaint in the County of Carmarthen, Gentleman, of which I have caused another part to be written of the same tenor and form as this.
FIRST I give and devise unto my son DAVID JEFFREYS that capital messuage tenement and lands with the appurtnenances called Llwynyfron in my own occupation, also that water grist mill with the appurtenances called Llwynyfron Mill now in the occupation of William Morgan, also that cottage and garden now in the occupation of David John Francis, also that cottage garden and lands now in the occupation of Thomas David Howell, all which said messuage, tenement, mill, lands and premises are situate in the parish of Llanthoisaint in the county of Carmarthen, to have and to hold (subject to the payment of the sums hereinafter mentioned and charged and all interest due on mortgage affecting the whole of my real estate) the said messuage, tenement, mill, cottages, lands and premises to him the said DAVID JEFFREYS for his own use until my grandson, MORGAN JEFFREYS (son of WILLIAM JEFFREYS, late of Languhe in the County of Glamorgan, deceased) shall arrive at the age of twenty one years, without impeachment of waste, reserving except for necessary repairs, all oak, timber, trees or oak saplings likely to become timber. Then when my said grandson shall arrive at the age of twenty one years, I give and devise the said messuage, tenement, mill, cottages, lands and premises unto my grandson MORGAN JEFFREYS, his heirs and assigns forever, subject, however to the payment of the sums hereafter mentioned and affecting the same. But in case that my said grandson shall die before he arrives at the age of twenty one years then I give and devise the aforesaid messuage, tenement, mill, cottages, lands and premises with the appurtenances to my son DAVID JEFFREYS, his heirs and assigns forever, subject, however, to the payment of the sums hereafter mentioned and affecting the same. And I do expressly charge and subject the aforesaid messuage, tenement, mill, cottages, lands and premises with the appurtenances with the payment of the sum of two hundred pounds, which said sum of two hundred pounds I give and bequeath to my granddaughters MARGARET JEFFREYS and SARAH JEFFREYS (daughters of my son WILLIAM JEFFREYS, late of the parish of Languhe in the county of Glamorgan, deceased) to be paid them respectively at their respective ages of twenty one years, and in case either of them shall die before the age of twenty one years, then I give the share of her so dying unto the survivor of them. Also I do expressly charge and subject the aforesaid messuage, tenement, mill, cottages, lands and premises with the appurtenances with the payment of all mortgages as well affecting the aforesaid messuage, tenement, mill, lands, cottages and premises respectively as my other messuages, tenement, lands and premises called Penymaen, Abbercrynfe and the house and land situate in the village of Talsarn I expressly will and direct to be made clear of all mortgages affecting the same.
I give and devise unto my son DAVID JEFFREYS all that messuage, tenement and land with the appurtenances called Penymaen in the occupation of Rees Thomas Morgan, also a certain field called Pentroynne in my own occupation, also a house and land in the village of Talsarn, all which said messuage, tenement, lands, house and premises are situate in the parish of Lanthoisaint, to hold to him the said DAVID JEFFREYS, his heirs and assigns forever, subject nevertheless, and I do hereby expressly charge the same with the payment of forty pounds, which sum of forty pounds I give and bequeath unto my daughter JOAN JEFFREYS, to be paid her at the expiration of twelve months next after my decease.
Also I give and devise unto my son MORGAN JEFFREYS all that messuage, tenement and land with the appurtenances called Abbercrynfe in the parish of Llanthoisaint in the occupation of David Lewis David to hold to him the said MORGAN JEFFREYS, his heirs and assigns forever, subject nevertheless, and I do expressly charge the said messuage, tenement and land called Abbercrynfe with the payment of the several sums hereinafter mentioned.
I give and bequeath unto my daughter ANNE JEFFREYS the sum of eighty pounds. I give and bequeath unto my daughter JOAN JEFFREYS the sum of forty pounds. I give and bequeath unto my daughter MARY PRITCHARD the sum of five pounds. I give and bequeath unto my daughter MARGARET LEWIS the sum of five pounds, which several sums I will and direct to be paid my respective daughters at the expiration of twelve months next after my decease by my said son MORGAN JEFFREYS.
Also I give and bequeath unto my daughters JOAN JEFFREYS and ANNE JEFFREYS all the chambering (commonly called in Welsh stafell) that I received with their mother to be equally divided between them.
Lastly, I give and bequeath unto my son DAVID JEFFREYS all my personal estate whatsoever whom I appoint and nominate sole executor of this my last will and testament. And I do hereby revoke and make void all will and wills by me heretofore made.
IN WITNESS whereof, I, the said MORGAN JEFFREYS, the testator, have hereunto set my hand and seal, the thirty first day of March, One thousand seven hundred and ninety eight.

Signed, sealed, published and declared by
the said Morgan Jeffreys, the testator, as
and for his Last Will and Testament in the
presence of us, who at his request, in his
presence and in the presence of each other,
have subscribed our names as witnesses
thereto, as we have at the same time
likewise done to a duplicate thereof.
Morgan Jeffreys

L. Lewis of Cwmclydach
John Lewis of Pencrug
Thomas Morgan, Cwmddu



Llwynyfron remained in the ownership of the Jeffreys until 1886 when Walter Powell Jeffreys, Jr. sold Llwynyfron and Llwynyfron Mill to Daniel Thomas.



Llwynyfron Mill, photo JB Jeffreys, 1998
The Thomas Family

Daniel Thomas was born about 1845, the son of Thomas Thomas of Panthowel and his wife, Margaret.

PANT HYWEL, Llanddeusant.
One mile north-east of Pontarllechau bridge over the Sawdde; rendered as Pant Hywel on Colby’s Map 1831, but as Panthowel on modern O.S. maps. Home of the Lewis Family from the early 17th century, who also lived at Penrhiw and Penycrug in the same parish, descended from Owen Gethin of Glyntawe, whose arms they bore. In the 19th century they moved to Gilfach and Llwyncelyn.
(Jones, Francis (1997 Final Edition) Historic Carmarthenshire Homes and Their Families)

Dan Thomas would marry Martha Lewis and their descendants occupy Llwynyfron today (2008). Martha Lewis was born about 1860 and was the daughter of John Lewis of Tir paum, and his wife, Anne. Her father, John Lewis, was a son of Llewellyn Lewis and his wife, Margaret Harries Lewis, of Tredomen.





Tom Thomas (standing), parents Martha (Lewis) Thomas and Daniel Thomas. Martha Lewis was a daughter of John Lewis of Tir Paum; and John Lewis of Tir Paum was a son of Llewellyn Lewis of Tredomen.

1 comment:

hillmh said...

Just wanted to mention that Y Neuadd has been undergoing a multi decade restoration.
I anticipate the bulk of the work will be completed in the next 2 years.
I find your blog fascinating as it helps fill in a number of gaps in our knowledge.
Incidentally the wedding photo in the garden of Y Neuadd is helping us in landscaping the side garden as well as ensuring we get the elevations for the new garden wall so it matches the wedding photo.